- Category: General Information
- Published on Friday, 15 January 2010 06:00
- Written by Administrator
- Hits: 10218
Welcome to the Glass-Study Association web-site
The aim of the Glass Study Association
Is to preserve the work of any website related to glass!
Unlike printed books, websites only exist while their owner actively supports them by paying for web space. It is the intention of the Association to take over the hosting support of such sites, when the owner requests this, to ensure that they remain permanently available.
The Association will not change the content of these sites to ensure that the integrity of the original author's work is preserved. However, it will change a hosting site where there is a technical need to maintain the availability of the resource.
The owner of the original site remains the owner of the copyright, unless they chose to transfer copyright to the Association.
A facility will be provided to enable Association members to provide properly attributed peer review on the content of hosted sites. The site author is welcome to participate and actively manage that peer review.
See also Why give my Website?
How will it work?
The Association intends to build a fund that will provide an income and thus the financial means to carry out its aims.
Owners of glass-related websites are invited to reach an agreement with the Association for the preservation of their website and its content.
The owners would be asked to provide fresh copies of their sites at intervals to ensure that we have the most recent version. They would also provide an agreement to transfer ownership of any domain name related to the website, once they have decided to discontinue active participation. In future, automated systems could be developed to support archiving of the sites and there could be the possibility of the Association providing the hosting service.
The long term
It is intended to expand membership of the Association to ensure that no single person is essential to the continuance of its aims.
The Association will convert to a charity status once an appropriate level of funding and management have been reached, subject to the decision of its management.
The Association will look into setting up sister organisations in other countries to further increase its availability, integrity and continuance.
The Association will publish its financial information on this website. All funds will be used to further its aims and not for remuneration of its officers or members.
- Downloading documents does not require registration but if you register you will be able to get free updates. Registering on this site is separate from subscribing as a member of the association, you only need to subscribe if you wish to sell your documents to the public.
- If you would like to be involved in some way, please get in touch with us via Contacts. We need management skills, fundraising and PR skills as well as technical skills to form a committee. Under French law committee members must be voluntary.
- Translations will be made as soon as possible. Please contact to help with a translation into your language.